HMLA Entrance Exam
After you have registered for the exam, you will need to create an account in ProctorU to schedule the exam. You may take the exam at home or any other location of your choice for a fee of $400.
Successful completion of the High Maturity Lead Appraiser Entry Examination requires candidates to have an in-depth understanding of:
- the CMMI Model
- quantitative and statistical concepts and practical applications
- organizational business objectives and relationships to CMMI practices
- differences in maturity level 2, 3, 4, and 5 process areas
- implications of high maturity practices for projects and organizations
- elicitation of requirements from sponsor and education of sponsor regarding true weaknesses
- understanding interrelationships between maturity levels 2/3 and 4/5
Recommended Study Materials
- CMMI V1.3 Constellations (Acquisition, Development, and Services)
- Course materials from CMMI courses (Introduction to CMMI, Intermediate Concepts of CMMI, and SCAMPI Lead Appraiser Training).
- SCAMPI A V1.3a Method Definition Document
- SCAMPI Lead Appraiser Body Of Knowledge, 2007 (CMU/SEI-2007-TR-019) – High Maturity Skills competencies
- CMMI-Guidelines to Process Integration and Product Improvement, 2006, 2nd Edition, Chrissis, Konrad, and Shrum
- Measuring the Software Process: Statistical Process Control for Software Process Improvement, Addison & Wesley, 1999, Florac and Carleton
- Understanding Variation: The Key to Managing Chaos, 1999, Wheeler, Donald
The exam is in a multiple choice format and each candidate will have 3.0 hours to complete the exam. If you do not pass the entry examination on your first attempt, you may retake the examination one additional time within 3 months of the first attempt. Should these two attempts not be successful, you must wait six additional months before submitting a letter to the CMMI Institute Certification Program with a request to retake the examination. Permission will need to be granted for subsequent testing. Exam results are valid for a period of 18 months. After 18 months, the examination must be retaken and successfully completed prior to being scheduled for an HMLA oral examination.